Are you frantically rushing round preparing for Christmas? Frazzled by Christmas shopping, tiring traffic and impossible parking?
While feverishly attending Festive celebrations and organizing your own? … Think again.
STOP pressuring yourself!
Christmas is a time of peace and relaxation. And most importantly a time to nurture yourself.
For those managing a mental illness like myself, Christmas can trigger stress, depression and anxiety. I’m bolstering myself with a toolbox of wellness strategies to fight stress and my triggers for bipolar disorder.
How to keep Stress FREE over Christmas
1. Take TIME OUT. Nurture yourself with ME time. Take a warm scented bath. Indulge in a soothing, relaxing massage, restoring not only your body, but your mind and your soul.
2. Don’t over commit. Delegate. Learn to say no.
3. Avoid known triggers. If someone brings up a sensitive topic, use distraction and quickly move onto something else to talk about.
4. Infuse laughter into your Christmas festivities. Laugh out loud. Smile. Tell jokes. Do a merry little dance.
5. Keep up your exercise over Christmas. Take a brisk walk. Swim.
6. Enjoy simple Christmas pleasures with friends and family. Delight in your neighbourhood Christmas lights.
7. Lighten up. Say ‘everything will be OK’. Positive self-talk and gratitude for all the good things in your life empowers you to cope and to relax. You ARE what you think.
8. Meditate and relax. Breathe very slowly and deeply to calm yourself.
9. Shrug your shoulders slowly. Breathe deeply and release the tension.
10. Unplug your TV, computer and phone. Go outside and commune with nature. Chill out in a natural environment. Enjoy watching glorious sunsets, rolling clouds across the sky. Feed native birds.
My Special GIFTS to you … My empowering books REDUCED for Christmas
1. Bailey Beats the Blah, picture book boosts your child’s self-esteem, emotional awareness and coping skills … The gift of LOVE … HERE
2. ME & HER: a Memoir of Madness shares my journey from harassed Teacher who develops Bipolar Disorder … Back to recovery and wellness … a gift for yourself or someone you love. HERE
3. Me and Him: A Guide to Recovery… Tips for Mental Happiness and Resilience What secrets did my Carer: Husband reveal six years on? 5 STAR Reviews HERE
Thanks for your incredible friendship and support in 2013.
Wishing you the most relaxing Christmas ever, with family and friends, love and laughter.
How will you spend your Stress FREE Christmas?
LOVE to hear your comments.
Please SHARE … LIKE, Tweet and Google plus +
Did you like this? Share it: