IMAGINE! You have slaved over your beloved story, completing your manuscript to perfection! What’s your next step in getting your story published? How do you develop a kick-ass submission package that will eXcite and ignite a Publisher?
**I wrote this blog to unblock my paralyzing FEAR of submitting to Publishers. For too long I’ve allowed my completed Manuscripts to loiter in my computer files … Here’s my Self- Motivational Tips for ACTION …
#10 Sizzling Secrets in Submitting your Manuscript to Publishers
1. Perfect your manuscript over many drafts. Make sure your Beta readers have critiqued it. Send your manuscript away for professional assessment, editing and review.
2. Brainstorm a practical plan of action based on research and advice. Investigate the writer’s bible, Australian Writers Marketplace 2011/2012. Join AWM online for up-to-date information. Research publisher websites who are a ‘good fit’ for their specific submission guidelines. Follow the guidelines exactly. Study the publisher’s book catologue. Match and compare their books to yours.
3. Create a kick-ass synopsis written in present tense with the key points to your story. Write each dramatic sentence in book jacket blurb style leaving the editor begging for more. A powerful synopsis will hook the editor in.
4. Develop a *winning* book proposal, detailing positive strategies and a marketing plan with target readership and marketing opportunities. Up-date your bio with your awards, credits and publishing history.
5. Craft an attention-grabbing one page cover letter that hooks the publisher with an elevator pitch, premise and a powerful synopsis. Explain why you are qualified to write this book.
6. Track your submissions in a coloured folder ruled up with date, publisher name, submissions docs and outcome. Great visual way to keep track at a glance.
7. Don’t Rush! Only send out submissions you have thoroughly prepared. Send to Publishers you have researched and matched.
8. Submit to three publishers at a time, so you can Re-submit to others after feedback. Let the publisher know it’s a multiple submission.
9. Send off your manuscript to writing competitions with the best opportunities. Keep your ear to the ground for the latest News.
10. NEVER, ever give up! Follow your writer’s intuition … RETHINK > REWRITE > RESUBMIT
WOOHOO!! I’ve Finally Submitted my Manuscripts!
I finally took affirmative ACTION to get my manuscripts out there … No more Hesitating and making excuses!
Last week I sent the first 3K of SAYONARA off to the Debut Dagger writing competition organized by Crime Writers Association UK. Thanks to Janelle Colquhoun from Brisbane Sisters in Crime for the tip-off. Good luck Janelle for your entry too
With my heart pattering, today I submitted my brand NEW children’s manuscript to Publishers … I proudly launch my picture book: MIGHTY MAX SAVES THE DAY into the UNIVERSE!!!
PENGUIN has thrown their doors open to submissions to a wide range of genres for the first SEVEN days of each month. Children’s and YA have a separate submission process for EVERY day. Remember: Don’t rush! … Read the guidelines carefully. http://www.penguin.com.au/getting-published … Wishing you the best of luck!
** How do you motivate yourself into ACTION?
**How do you overcome your FEARS and lack of confidence?
** How do you prepare your Manuscripts for Submission?
NB. This blog was edited. KT.