I created Bailey Beats the Blah for children aged 4-8 to empower KIDS to beat worry thoughts and sad days.
BUT how can I present my picture book to a younger audience?
Last week I presented Bailey Beats the Blah as an interactive story to lively pre-schoolers using every theatrical trick I could muster.
Exercising my expressive BAILEY voice, dramatic actions AND teaching skills I kept a group of 3-5 year old focused.
So they could interact with the story using facial expressions, hand movements, reply back to the chants, AND understand the positive messages of Bailey Beats the Blah: coping skills, self-esteem and emotional awareness in simple terms.
10 Steps to a Successful Story telling session with Pre-schoolers
1. Liaise with the director of the Child Care Centre or Pre-school for a PRIME time and a riveting program.
2. Email flyers to advertise the event plus send activity sheets in advance for photocopying.
3. Plan and practice the session step by step, including your exact spiel, body language and your movements. Gather all the props you need including costumes, enlarged name tags and puppets.
4. Make a sample of the completed craft activity to demonstrate to children.
5. Use behaviour management skills to calm the children. Don’t allow calling out unless it’s part of an interaction or chant.
6. Charge your camera ready to go. Request a staff member to take photos. (Request backs of children’s heads. No profile shots)… Now SMILE
7. Arrive early to set up … including posters, banner, book display, positioning of props.
8. Get into the spirit by wearing a theme costume or funny hat. Dramatize story with voice inflections, whispers, pauses and actions. Inject session with as much enthusiasm and energy as you can.
9. Leave a follow-up activity for the children to complete afterwards. Hand out bookmarks. Allow time to sign copies of your book.
10. FINISH on a positive note. Request positive feedback. Discuss the next visit with your next book.
Afterwards… One tiny girl said “I know that book. My mum’s a teacher. She has Bailey at her school.”
WOW! I couldn’t believe it! My face broke out into an almighty grin of pride.
What did I LOVE about sharing Bailey with Pre-schoolers?
I was overwhelmed by the super-enthusiastic feedback from kids and the staff. They really LOVED Bailey Beats the Blah. Read Reviews HERE
I LOVED watching their little faces light up totally mesmerized and enthralled by Bailey Beats the Blah. Gee I MISS teaching sometimes!
DOWNLOAD Free teacher Notes and FREE children’s Activities HERE