I feel like I’ve yanked out the last daisy petal … Its PUBLISHER!!
Well if I’m proceeding to the Publishers DIRECT, then I’ll need a strong Book Proposal. Something that will convince the Publishers to take me on.
A BOOK PROPOSAL is similar to the Agent’s one-page Query letter but is far more detailed, utilising market research to sell your book.
It could be up to 10 pages long and that’s without the sample chapters!
I’ve researched the Net and found a common structure.
1. Short Cover Letter to Publisher
2. Summary and Overview … What you’ll read on the BACKCOVER
3. The Market … Your target audience
4. Marketing Strategies … How you’ll broadcast your book
5. The Competition … Cross-market comparisons with similar books.
7. Sample Chapters
8. About the Author … a detailed writer’s resume.
My Book Proposal is now completed. All it needs now is a bit of magic!
(The last 3 stories I wrote were Fantasy! Forgive me if I sound lyrical.)
… I imagine my Book Proposal as a winged creature, lifting up my manuscript, soaring over the Publishing World, encircling it until finally perching at its true home … my new publisher!